Posting Date: 3/17/2023
Location: Rockville, MD
Cluster/Team: Finance Cluster
Coach: Chief Financial Officer
Salary Range (Non-Negotiable): $134,628 – $149,587
FLSA Exemption Status: Exempt
The purpose of this position is to strategically plan for and continuously develop and direct all financial information technology for ASHA and its five affiliated entities. The incumbent is responsible for the planning, design, testing, documentation, and implementation of financial information systems to meet business strategies, internal control, and user requirements. The incumbent evaluates business systems and incorporates best practices into system development and documentation ensures consistent practices are used throughout ASHA to maintain system integrity and operational adherence to financial control procedures; leads the development and reporting of performance metrics in order to measure productivity and ensure timely provision of member services; and provides high-level expertise related to financial reporting; regulatory and tax compliance; completion of annual external audit; and cash flow forecasting. Total revenue of ASHA and its affiliates exceeds $40 M.
- Lead, direct, and manage all aspects of the financial information systems including Financial Reporting, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Purchasing, and Advanced Allocations. This also includes the financial aspects of the AMS relating to Certification, Membership, Continuing Education, Advertising Sales, Product Sales, Subscriptions, Special Interest Groups, Meetings, Exhibit Sales, Fundraising, and Accreditation.
- Lead, direct, and manage the implementation of new financial information software projects including planning, design, testing, configuration, documentation, training, and post implementation review. The projects include the integration of new products, product enhancements, product upgrades, and interfaces between financial systems and other software applications. The software includes accounting, financial aspects of the AMS, in-house electronic payments, Internet eCommerce, tax preparation and filing, financial reporting, AMS reporting, and document management.
- Advocate the use of technology and evaluate new technology to meet ASHA's business strategies, internal control, and user requirements. Assist users (performing the functions in #1 above) in the development of system requirements specifications, and test plans. Evaluate system options using processing scenarios to determine best practices.
- Analyze current business systems and processes that impact all areas of the association. Develop project plans and; direct, manage, and implement improvements to achieve greater efficiency and accuracy resulting in cost savings to the association
- Provide high-level expertise, technical review, and guidance to ensure the timely and accurate completion of annual external audits for ASHA and its affiliates resulting in unqualified opinions and management letters confirming the adequacy of internal accounting controls. Safeguard the assets and resources of ASHA by ensuring consistent practices are used throughout ASHA to maintain system integrity and operational adherence to financial control procedures. Develop, implement, and evaluate financial system internal control policies and standards that result in well documented audit trails and accountability.
- Provide high-level expertise and review related to regulatory and tax compliance for ASHA and its affiliates that result in timely and accurate filing of all required documents and tax returns. This includes: federal information and unrelated business income returns (Forms 990 and 990T), state income and property tax returns (MD), state sales tax returns (MD and DC), international tax returns (Canada), state charitable registrations (VA, FL, MD, and NY), and other federal and state informational returns including surveys and financial census data.
- Provide high-level expertise related to financial system operations, including the preparation of financial reports, financial planning, cash flow projections, review of Finance Cluster budget, and debt financing/leasing options.
Knowledge Typically Acquired Through
- CPA designation or equivalent years of experience.
- At least 8 - 10 years of progressively responsible related experience (experience in large membership associations preferred)
- Baccalaureate degree in accounting or business administration
- 4 or more years supervisory and/or training experience
Scope and Depth of Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Expert knowledge of general ledger, accounts receivable, accounts payable, budgeting, and tax filings
- Demonstrated success in leading and developing financial information technology of a major organization
- Extensive knowledge and experience related to financial information systems: requirements analysis, system selection, design, testing, and implementation
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS), and Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) Pronouncements (including FASBs 116, 117, and 124) affecting not-for-profit organizations
- Strong analytical skills related to the evaluation of operational performance and financial alternatives
- Extensive knowledge of the Internal Revenue Code, including experience with Federal and State rules and regulations controlling 501(c)6 and 501(c)3 organizations, maintenance of tax exempt status, and filing of all Federal and State tax and informational returns
- Experience in the management of a $40 million plus budget
- Experience with Microsoft SQL administration and relational database systems
- Advanced skills in Excel, report software development tool, and intermediate skills in Microsoft Access and Word
Scope and Depth of Non-Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Demonstrated success in conducting short and long-range financial system planning for an organization similar in size and complexity as ASHA
- Excellent organizational, team, and decision-making skills
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal, and project management skills