Posting Date: 7/5/2023
Location: Rockville, MD
Cluster/Team: Marketing & Sales Cluster
Coach: Chief Marketing & Sales Officer
Salary Range (Non-Negotiable): $131,251 – $145,834
FLSA Exemption Status: Exempt
The purpose of this position is to oversee and direct ASHA’s marketing efforts of ASHA products and services for the purpose of driving member engagement, increasing non-dues revenue, and delivering member value. The Marketing Director’s primary responsibilities include developing and overseeing the implementation of marketing strategies to achieve business objectives and drive business growth, staying ahead of industry trends, leading a team of marketing professionals, and managing the marketing budget. This position works with the Chief Marketing and Sales Officer to develop and execute marketing and communication plans for enterprise-wide initiatives. This position collaborates with cross-functional teams to achieve its goals and objectives. The position manages competitive analysis, pricing analysis, and sales trends to benchmark marketing and sales strategies for improved performance. It initiates market research, user experience studies, analyzes buyer behavior, needs, and attitudes to implement product launches, updates, and retirements. The position supervises 4-7 marketing professionals and reports directly to the Chief Marketing and Sales Officer.
- Acquire a deep knowledge and understanding of the Communication Sciences and Disorders profession and ASHA members. Share this knowledge by collaborating with direct reports and project teams to develop marketing strategy and execution across various channels including traditional media, email, digital, ecommerce, content, and social marketing, promoting ASHA products and services that meet members’ needs. Products and services include subscription-based and individual product offerings and in-person and virtual events. Position also works closely with the Chief Marketing and Sales Officer to support the marketing of the association’s Strategic Objectives initiatives and other project work to ASHA members and other stakeholders.
- Provide guidance, mentorship, and support to a team of marketing professionals, fostering a motivated, collaborative, and results-driven work environment. Allocate resources across product and event lines.
- Oversee the monitoring and evaluating of the performance of marketing campaigns, measuring key performance indicators (KPIs), and making data-driven decisions to optimize marketing efforts.
- Direct the development and sale of new products and programs and oversee the publication of new titles under the ASHA Press imprint. Negotiate contracts and terms with outside agencies and suppliers.
- In coordination with Surveys and Analysis, Data Analytics, and Digital Communications teams, develop research instruments and initiate market studies to monitor customer insights and preferences in relation to specific products, programs, product lines, events, and campaigns. Stay updated with industry trends and conduct market scans of other industries and associations to incorporate best practices.
- Analyze marketing data, programs and events and recommend strategies and tactics to increase marketing effectiveness. Use predictive modeling and segmentation and similar or emerging processes to improve targeting and messaging. Analyze and report on marketing program performance and financial results. Use lessons learned to improve processes and communications.
- Collaborate with Creative Media to maintain consistent branding throughout the product and program lines, promotional materials, and events. Assist in the development and execution of ASHA’s brand and advertising and media initiatives.
- Develop budget. Optimize pricing for products and programs. Forecast sales and expenses for planning.
Knowledge Typically Acquired Through
- An undergraduate degree in Marketing, Communications, Business Administration or MBA preferred.
- 7-10 years of experience in a position with similar responsibilities
Scope and Depth of Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Ability to think and communicate the big picture to develop strong strategic plans and marketing communications.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee, develop, and execute comprehensive print, digital, and social campaigns.
- Subscription business experience preferred.
- Marketing automation skills with platforms such as Marketo, Salesforce, or Hubspot.
- Demonstrated ability to develop production and marketing budgets, sales forecasts, and pricing.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, interpret, and apply market research and user experience studies.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate contracts with vendors.
- Experience with inventory/sales database management.
Scope and Depth of Non-Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, make connections across content, and projects, and effectively allocate resources.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal and management skills, with a strong desire to coach individuals and a team.
- Excellent communicator with strong oral presentation and written communication skills.
- Ability to think creatively and problem-solve.
- Curiosity and a love of learning new things.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills